Pages

Wednesday 19 February 2020

Science

Complex sugars test

Aim: To see if different types of of foods have complex sugars

Hypothesis: I think that Glucose  won't have complex sugars, I think apple and milk will have complex sugars. Then I think bread and potato will have both in them.

Equipment: Test tube, the food were testing and iodine.

Method: Put a little bit of the food that you testing in the tube then add the iodine.

Results: The bread is a complex sugar.
The potato isn't a complex sugar.
The apple is a complex sugar but it took longer to show than the bread.
Milk is not a complex sugar

Summary: It was pretty fun to see what did and didn't have complex sugars, I was right with some things but not everything.

Simple sugars test

Aim: To see if different types of of foods have simple sugars

Hypothesis: I think that anything with glucose will have simple sugars for sure but I'm not sure about anything else

Equipment: Bunsen burner = were using hot plates, test tube, tongs for test tube, Benedict solution, sample of food

Method: Put a little bit of food over a hot surface and wait for it to change colour. It can't boil

Results: Egg is not a simple sugar
Bread is simple sugar
Potato is a simple sugar
Apple is a simple sugar
Sugar / glucose is a simple sugar
Milk was a simple sugar

Summary: Some thing that I thought had simple sugars didn't and some things did, it was pretty fun to see what did and didn't have those things

Protein test

Aim: To see if different types of of foods have protein

Hypothesis: I'm actually not sure what will happen this time

Equipment: Sodium hydroxide, test tube, copper sulfate, food sample

Results: The potato, apple, bread and sugar was negative. Egg and milk was positive in the test we did

Summary of the whole thing: I think it was interesting to see what did and didn't have complex sugars, simple sugars and protein. It was kind of different that what I thought would happen with all 3 of the test but I think I had at least one right each time.

Discussion: I don't know why anything did what it did but some of the protein tests. I think I knew apple and sugar didn't have protein because they didn't come from meat but everything else I didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.