Pages

Monday 22 June 2020

Condensation

Today in science we are doing a condensation experiment because we did evaporation last week. Myay group was Tamsyn, Lilly, Ella, Danielle (Me)

Aim: To separate a solute and a solvent in a solution in a solution using distillation.

Equipment: A solution of coke, conical flask, heatproof mat, a delivery tube and bung, element, tripod, gauze mat, retort stand, boss head and clamp, boiling tube

Hypothesis: I think the sugar in the coke will be solid now.

Method:
1. Set up the equipment as shown in the diagram
2. Add approximately 50 ml of coke into your conical flask  
3. Heat up the element
4. Heat the solution until most of the solvent has been evaporated. Turn off your element.

Discussion: We poured some coke into a conical flask and heated it up on a element saw the solute getting harder and the solvent turning into water in the tube it was hooked up to. the coke evaporated that's why the sugar clumped together, and since there was ice the solvent just turned evaporate and turn into water. 

Conclusion: I was right the sugar in the coke did go solid and the solvent turned in the water, I didn't expect that. I think it was pretty successful.

Pictures during the experiment: 
For both coke


Pictures with results:
Normal coke - My group
Coke zero - Other group

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.